USA Senator Mitt Romney’s unusual technique for blowing out the candles on his birthday cake has puzzled social media.
Instead of just blowing out the candles in one go, he plucks them off the cake and proceeds to blow them out individually, one by one. But why does he do this? Most people concluded it was for sanitary reasons. And they were correct!
According to research from Clemson University blowing out birthday candles may actually increase cake bacteria by up to 1,400 percent. Yum.
Rest assured, the spread oral bacteria or respiratory droplets, does not actually mean that anyone who eats the cake is in any serious trouble. But if you’re sick you should think twice about blowing out your candles, and opting for a personal cake, cupcake, or slice instead.
And that is exactly what Mitt Romney told TMZ
“I have a bit of a cold and I didn’t want to spray my germs all over the twinkies for everybody else to eat!” Mystery solved!