What is Listeria? Listeria is a bacteria that lives in natural environments, like food.
Listeria doesn’t usually effect healthy people. But it can cause severe illness in certain community groups include elderly, sick, pregnant, unborn babies and people with compromised immune systems.
To reduce the risk of listeria infection, follow these simple steps –
- Wash your hands properly using the 20 second rule;
- Wash fruit and vegies thoroughly;
- Avoid cross contamination by using separate knives and chopping boards;
- Store leftovers safely and eat them within 24 hours;
- Reheat leftovers until steaming hot.
To find out more visit www.foodstandards.gov.au/listeria
To update your food safety skills enrol with CFT today!