A sigh of relief that in Australia we have stringent safety rules surrounding food preparation in commercial kitchens after a chef in Iraq dies after falling into chicken soup.

A 25-year-old chef has died after falling into a huge vat of boiling chicken soup, suffering third degree burns to 70 per cent of his body.

Iraqi chef Issa Ismail was making chicken soup for a wedding party on June 15 when he slipped and fell into the vat, The Independent reports.

He was raced to a nearby hospital for treatment but died five days after the accident.

The father-of-three was preparing food at the Hazel Hall for Weddings and Events in Zakho, a northern district of Iraq.

According to local media, the man had been a cook since he was a teenager.

A relative said Ismail regularly cooked at weddings, ceremonies and other events.

One of his children is only six months old, the relative said.

The man’s tragic death has prompted calls for stronger safety measures inside commercial restaurants and kitchens.