Not the headlines we want to read. It is so important to keep our food safe!
A 20-year-old student from Belgium has passed away from liver failure after eating leftover spaghetti.
An autopsy revealed his food had been contaminated by a toxic bacteria called Bacillus cereus which caused his liver to shut down.
In 2017, there were 5.4 million cases of food poisoning in Australia — that’s close to a quarter of the total population. Many were able to ride the wave of vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal cramps and headaches at home but some 1.2 million were sick enough to visit their GP.
Some cases ended up proving fatal — around 120 people died.
The best way to avoid food poisoning is to prevent contamination in the first place. There are a number of rules to stick to to avoid the risk of food poisoning.
Make sure you are aware of food hygiene. Contact CFT to update your training today!
Responsible Service of Alcohol classes will be held at the Naree Community learning centre, Park Orchards Community Centre and Phillip Island. Call us for details 1300 665 633. Or visit our Inclass Training – contact our neighbourhood centre partners to find out when they are running classes.
Returning to work and school in the soaring Aussie summer heat follow these useful Lunch-box Food Safety Tips.
The Food Safety Information Council launched their back to work and school food safety tips, with a focus on the risk of potentially deadly Listeria infection.
Council Chair, Rachelle Williams suggested some safer lunchtime options for those at risk:
Make your own lunch. This will be safer, but be extra careful with cleanliness in your own kitchen
Prepare your own salads and cut up your own fruit, but don’t use bagged salads, pre-cut fruit, or whole or cut rockmelon
Replace soft cheeses like camembert, brie, and fetta with hard ones like cheddar
You can bring leftovers from last night’s dinner for lunch, but don’t use refrigerated leftovers that are more than 24 hours old as Listeria bacteria can still grow under refrigeration. Keep them cool before lunch in the workplace fridge or an insulated container with a freezer block. Leftovers and other prepared food will last longer if frozen – make sure they are reheated correctly in the work microwave or oven
You can also purchase hot foods at lunchtime as cooking kills Listeria.
She offered 6 simple lunchbox food safety tips that everyone should follow for work or school lunchboxes:
When buying lunchboxes, choose those that have room for a frozen drink or freezer block and are easy to clean and dry.
Always wash and dry your hands thoroughly before preparing food, and wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
Make sure lunchbox foods are always kept separated from raw foods in the refrigerator, particularly raw meats, chicken, eggs in their shells, and fish.
Keep the lunch cool in the fridge until you are ready to leave home, then put an ice brick in it and refrigerate as soon as you get to work (or keep in a cooler with ice bricks if you work outside.) Discard any higher risk foods such as sushi, salad, meat, poultry or eggs if not eaten within a day of you cooking or preparing them.
Your child’s lunchbox will keep a safe temperature until lunchtime at school as long as it has a frozen drink or ice brick in it. During hot weather you may want to consider providing safer lunchbox alternatives, such as hard or processed cheese, tuna in a can or vacuum packed, or sandwich spreads.
If your leftovers need reheating they must reach 75°C in the centre of the food, so either use a meat thermometer to check, or use the automatic reheat function in the work microwave and follow any prompts to stir the food or let it stand for a time after reheating.
Watch this short video about ‘use by’ and ‘best before’ dates presented by the Food Safety Information Council.
As well as use-by and best before dates check labels for specific storage conditions to ensure safety and quality. Don’t assume that you know how to store food as recipes change and modern food products like jams or sauces may have less salt or sugar than in the past and may need refrigeration.
CFT International, RTO 21120, leaders in nationally accredited food safety training throughout Australia.
We all remember the Seinfeld episode when George “double-dipped that chip!”. Well this might be even more riskier than we thought.
Food scientist Paul Dawson has conducted rigorous tests and discovered that having a second swipe of communal dip with a half-eaten chip was riskier than he first thought.
“I expected there to be not really much bacteria transfer because of the small surface area on a cracker or chip when you bite it.
“But we actually found there was 1,000 more bacteria per millilitre in the dip from when you bit the chip than when you didn’t. “That’s a significant amount … that’s more like a person-to-person transfer like the common cold and other contagious diseases rather than the typical food-borne illness like E.coli and salmonella.”
Professor Dawson stated.
Sounds yuck! So when you are at your next gathering remember the advice given to George and never “double dip that chip!”.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.